Monday

Driftwood

Driftwood
Broken by a storm, freed from my roots
I flow toward destiny where
new adventures await,
anxiously.

No longer a bystander of a rivers journey
but baptized by nature’s resilience
as I float, glide and fly,
joyfully.

My journey has shaped me uniquely
chiseled by jagged rock to beauty
whitened by the sun,
brilliantly.

Life no longer passes me by as I travel
napping in shadowed pools
dancing with the spray,
gratefully.

Where will my adventure’s end?
Does it really matter as
long as I’m still here,
naturally.

Author unknown



"Driftwood Dolls" artwork by Amy Maisel Driftwood, Mixed Media

I love collecting driftwood pieces and making things out of them, especially art dolls. I came up with this idea after collecting some on vacation to Colorado. My husband is a fly-fisherman and that definitely gives me the opportunity to wander and collect treasures along the banks of lakes, streams and rivers. I grew up on the Mississippi in Wisconsin and I have always collected treasures from the banks. It probably makes sense, I love all things weathered, worn, and natural.